Gmail setup example
1. Use Google Gmail or sign up for an account
2. Sign into your account and open following LINK. Enable this so that job board can connect and use your email
3. Open SJS Admin -> Settings -> Mailer. Enable SMTP and use these details:
Host name: smtp.gmail.com
Connection prefix: ssl
Username: your Gmail username
Password: your Gmail password
Test if it works
Register as an employer or sign up for job alerts. If you receive an email the setup has been successful. Otherwise proceed to next step.
Find out why it does not work
1. Connect to your hosting file manager. Open “_config/config.envs.php” and turn on debug mode:
‘ini_error_reporting’ => 1
‘ini_display_errors’ => ‘On’
2. Open “index.php” and insert the following code. It will use the mailer and display the result. Mind the quotes. You might need to rewrite them ““” because of encoding.
$DEBUG_EMAIL = “[email protected]”;
$transporter = Swift_SmtpTransport::newInstance($settings[“mailer_smtp_host”], $settings[“mailer_smtp_port”], $settings[“mailer_smtp_secure_connection_prefix”])
$mailer = Swift_Mailer::newInstance($transporter);
$message = Swift_Message::newInstance(“Email debugging”)
->setBody(“Example debug text body”);
$result = $mailer->send($message);
3. Save file and reload the job board homepage. If you see “bool(1)” it works. Otherwise it will tell you exact reason why it does not send the emails. Usually there are:
- bad credentials
- your SMTP does not enable the use (eg. with Gmail has to be turned on)
- your hosting is blocking the SMTP port with Firewall – ask them if you experience issues
Google limits the amount of mail a user can send per day to 99 emails. Once you grow your website we recommend signing up for advanced plan.
Branded domain emails
How to change email templates
In SJS Admin -> Translation section. Copy paste the content of email into external text editor – it will be easier to read. Once changed put it back. You can also use //require_once ‘_tools/email_debug.php’; directive that can be found in “index.php” file via file manager. When you uncomment it and setup your email in that file, save & reload the homepage you will receive all website emails at once. In case you want to do more advanced development and test email templates out.